Inside My Travel Journal

by - 6:26 PM

When I was a kid I was obsessed with capturing memories from my travels. I'd write every little detail down, Nothing was too insignificant for my travel journals. At the same time I was also obsessed with making memories. Everything had to be looked at, tasted or experienced. Every second I spent writing felt like a wasted chance at adventure. On top of that I collected receipts and business cards of hotels we stayed in, brochures of places we visited and lots of boarding passes and train tickets. My travel journals became chaotic and too time-consuming. I stopped writing them, but soon discovered that my trips weren't the same without a travel journal. Shortly before I went to Berlin, I decided to start a new journal. It became a mix of a bullet journal, art journal and travel journal. A Travel Journal 2.0 you could say. Let me show you.


My travel journal actually has the word travel on the front. It's a hard-cover journal so it won't die when it's on a bumpy plane/train/car ride. It was far from cheap, but my internship gave me giftcards for Christmas, so I used those to buy it. It's got a lot of information about the world's countries, their languages and currencies, but my favorite pages are the ones on which you can mark which countries you 've visited.

 Now on to the pages I've filled on my recent trips to Berlin and Ljubljana. At first I wanted to do this on a day-to-day basis, but I quickly realized that wasn't going to work. My travel journal now gives an overview of my time in those cities.


I usually start out with one big page to show where I went. I try to make it as original as possible with as many elements from that country as well. This is not the best example, but the other pages are still works in progress.
On the next pages I usually write some important information: where am I going, where will I be staying, how will I get there. Then I start writing about the things I've done and the places I've visited. The next part is my favorite: I always illustrate these pages.


Finally I use all the stuff I hoard on my trip and turn them into collages. They're usually about food. They're messy and uncoordinated and I'm not really sure what I actually want them to look like, but they're fun to experiment with. Sometimes I also write some things about what I liked best. Most of the time I draw something too. Like a penguin, cause penguins are awesome.


My journal has around a hundred pages. At this moment I've used ten of them. I can't wait to fill the others in the years to come. Who knows, maybe I'll do another post in a couple of years, looking back on all the things I've done.

Stay Awesome!

You May Also Like

20 Fellow Ramblers

  1. I love your travel journal! It's so wonderful. I wish I had done something like this when I as younger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's never too late to start one ;)

      Delete
  2. This. is. absolutely. awesome.

    Sarah || blissandliveliness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Envy, I would like to tell you about some blogging opportunity that i'm sure that you will love, but i have no clue on how to contact you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now you know how to get in touch with me :) There's also a contact page all the way over at the top of my blog :)

      Delete
  4. YOUR HANDWRITING IS SO AMAZING AGH. I love this journal! Bullet/art journaling is something I've tried in the past, but it's hard to keep up with on a daily basis.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't do it on a daily basis either, it takes too much time. Especially when I'm travelling it's hard to keep up with it, because I don't have glue to stick things to the pages. I'll have to catch up on four countries in the next few days :P

      Delete
  5. Traveling is one of the best things in the world! I love the idea of a Travel Journal like that :)

    onmywayacqua.blogspot.com | Acqua xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is actually a really good idea! I might start a travel journal now. Lovely post! - Sarah🌙
    http://blackpapermoon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you share it on you blog when you do start one!

      Delete
  7. i absolutely love bullet/art journaling! my favorite thing to do is print out snippets from my favorite poems and tape them on top of a painted background. your pages are awesome <3

    evelyn clickman @ if these stars shall fall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'd love to see your art journal pages! They sound so cool. Mine is more text based if as you can tell :)

      Delete
  8. That's such a good idea!! I did some when I was a kid too, and I love looking back through them. It brings back lots of memories from those trips. And though I did attempt some art in them...I wasn't the best artist, so it's kind of unclear what some of them are :/ :P I might start again though, cause I used to love doing it.

    ~Iris
    http://getupandoutblog.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hahaha, it doesn't matter if they're unclear, as long as they bring back some memories :) I hope you start again, it's so much fun!

      Delete
  9. That's awesome! I always keep a journal but it's literally just words and then I make a photo book out of the photos! I've only managed to complete 1 scrapbook for one roadtrip! Hope you keep it up, it's lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used to do the photo book as well, but it just became so much work. I'm still behind on my pages for this summer's trip. I'll do those in my Christmas vacation :) As long as I don't go on another trip before I finish these pages I'll be able to keep it up :D

      Delete
  10. SO PRETTTYY OMGGG <3 I started a travel journal for India, but I wish I'd done it growing up as well. I was so lucky that my parents always took me to cool and interesting places, but I never saved anything or kept journals then and I really wish I had. Like from family holidays. Now all the souviners from this trips are lost and broken and I've pretty much forgotten what happened on the trip sbecause I was so young. . I wish I had an idea of what my younger self thought of all her holidays.

    So much love <3

    Anne // www.aportraitofyouth.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's never too late to start and I think you couldn't have a better start with travel journals than an India journal!
      It's too bad that your souvenirs are all gone, but on the bright side: you won't be confronted with your cringy journals from ten years ago! Trust me, sometimes it's better not to have those journals to look back on XD

      Delete

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good! Wait, no, I mean: I solemnly swear that I will answer each and every comment ;)